Bloggers share their Fashion Week prep secrets

On » Saturday, February 5, 2011 //

We asked some of our favorite bloggers to let us in on their Fashion Week prep routines. Find out their must-haves, from the sublime (Valentino heels, Birkins) to the practical (Wet Wipes, cigarettes); their outfit inspirations, which range from "minimalist witch" to "yeshiva chic," and much more! 
By Véronique Hyland.



  photo credit: Scott Schuman


Three essentials: My camera, a pair of ballerina flats rolled in my bag and several other essentials that all go in one of my other essentials: a good bag.

Go-to shoes: Wedges are fantastic for a long day. They are so comfortable but still very chic and feminine! My favorite are my Chloés.

Biggest fashion week faux pas: I don't believe in fashion faux pas, everybody should feel free to experiment, especially during fashion week. It's a celebration of creativity!


photo credit: Eddie Newton

Fashion Week partner in crime: Scott Schuman.

Most anticipated shows: This season, I am looking forward to being surprised.

Who are you looking forward to seeing? My friends from London. I live between New York and Paris but I don't go to London enough! Fortunately Fashion Week brings us all together and we are already planning lunches in Paris.


Post-Fashion Week plans: I put everything in place, go through the thousands of em-ails I've been unable to read during the whole month. Then once that's done and I feel I've gotten a hold of that, I make long phone calls to my family and friends. Then I'll go spend two days in the mountains....And hopefully there is a spa not too far. Oh, but my ritual with Scott is to end fashion week with a wonderful Thai Massage at the Espace France Asie in Paris.

Do you pre-plan your outfits for Fashion Week? I would love to and I've tried in the past, but it's just not me. I just take my favorite clothes and do my best.

Favorite spot for last-minute shopping excursions: Scott's closet.


photo credit: Derek Blasberg

Three essentials: Camera, laptop, and a carton of cigarettes.

Go-to shoes: Lanvin sneakers.

Biggest fashion week faux pas? My existence is one big faux pas. I can't name one!
photo credit: Dan Lecca

Looking forward to: Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Preen, and Altuzarra.

Who are you most looking forward to seeing? The usual suspects of well-dressed editors who treat the streets as their personal runways.

Describe your inspiration for your Fashion Week look in five words or less: Eccentric, eclectic, fun, and frivolous.

Do you pre-plan your outfits? Nope. There's no time. I travel so much that I'm limited to recycling whatever I have in my suitcase. I go to Fashion Week to see the new collections and not to be admired for wearing my (old) outfits.

photo credit: Getty Images

Fashion Week partner in crime: Rumi Neely of Fashion Toast.

Favorite spot for last-minute shopping excursions: Barneys!

How do you unwind after a long day of shows? A glass of white wine, cigarettes, and Skype video chat with my partner.


photo credit: Courtesy Image
Three Fashion Week essentials: Wet Wipes (you never know who's going to be spilling drinks all over you), an extra charged BlackBerry battery because somehow my phone depletes in energy faster during Fashion Week, and lots of pens for taking notes (I have a preference for Uni Ball black roller ball pens).

Go-to shoes: Definitely my TUK creepers — they're a little odd looking but they are comfortable and give you a bit of height. 

Fashion Week partner in crime: Phil Oh of Street Peeper — he's a New Yorker, I'm not — therefore he's my aid when I'm in need of restaurant recommendations after shows.

photo credit: Sean Cunningham

Looking forward to: Proenza Schouler, 3.1 Phillip Lim, and Marc Jacobs as always. I'm interested in Rodarte's development too as last season was such a turning point. Suno, Mandy Coon, and Jeremy Laing are the newer names that I'm excited about.

Who are you most looking forward to seeing? I'm just looking forward to seeing friends again — people like Tommy Ton from Jak and Jil and Maya from Turned Out and designers like Michael Angel and Tim Hamilton. 

Describe your inspiration for your Fashion Week look in five words or less. Mix-up, juvenile, colors, prints, messy.

How do you unwind after a long day of shows? I'm addicted to the Food Channel when I'm back in my hotel room. Or if I'm up to it, a drink downstairs at the Soho Grand where I normally stay.

Do you pre-plan your outfits for Fashion Week? I do for New York only because I have to pack to come over so it's easier that way — but I always seem to pick up things when I'm in the city so my outfits end up veering off course anyway.

Biggest fashion week faux pas: Running late for the Y-3 show, huffing and puffing as I entered and nearly knocking over the seating section sign...could have knocked out Vanessa Friedman from the Financial Times!


photo credit: Courtesy Image
Leandra Medine, The Man Repeller
Three Fashion Week essentials you can't live without: My MacBook, a velvet bowtie, the NYC transportation system...though it is more unstable than a newly heartbroken woman.

Go-to shoes: My Proenza Schouler FW 2010 wedge booties. They are torture to my ankles but too badass not to wear. Every day.

Fashion Week partner in crime: Rachel Strugatz, the online editor at WWD.
photo credit: Dan Lecca; Courtesy Image

Looking forward to: Proenza Schouler, Rag & Bone and the Rachel Antonoff, Timo Weiland, Pamela Love and Dannijo presentations.

Describe your inspiration for your Fashion Week look in five words or less: Yeshiva chic travels to Mongolia.

Do you pre-plan your outfits for Fashion Week? No (yes).

Favorite spot for last-minute shopping excursions: Barneys.

Biggest fashion week faux pas: A little black Kimberly Ovitz dress x Veda leather jacket. While they're amazing pieces separately, Fashion Week is the Olympics of man-repelling and therefore the perfect excuse to turban out, drop that crotch, and elevate them shoulder pads.

How do you unwind after a long day of shows? Oh you know, same as anyone...listening to the Gipsy Kings while drinking a teacup full o' whiskey.


For more of your favourite bloggers check out Harper's BAZAAR.

No Response to "Bloggers share their Fashion Week prep secrets"

Advertising Space

Click HERE for details.

. . .

Disclaimer : News articles, photos, videos, views and opinions are copyrights of the respective blog/media owners. The information contained herein are merely to be made available to the public for purposes in no way intended as a form of plagiarism

Style Folio

We would love to feature your photos. Send us your most interesting outfit or look of the day or any other exciting photos which you would like to share with us. Think Lookbook, Chictopia and the like.

Here's How :

Browse Flickr

Highlight : ELLE TV

Announcements

Share with us any important announcements, upcoming bazaars and event dates or shout outs here!

Email veloursmag@hotmail.com now!

Place Ads

    Administrator

    My photo
    Embracing the passion for style, art, music, fashion, literature and food. *sense of style : eclectic *credits to other sites
    velours mag

    Copy and paste the code below into your html and link us!